UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.- Following a successful 2022 regular season in Happy Valley, the Penn State softball team (31-21, 13-10 Big Ten) returns to postseason play with the Big Ten Tournament in East Lansing, Mich.
After a series victory against Illinois last weekend, Penn State enters the tournament as the No. 7 seed and are slated to face off against No. 10 Indiana (27-21, 10-13) to start the tournament. That game is set for Wednesday, May 11 at 11 p.m. All tournament games will be broadcasted on the Big Ten Network and streamed on the Fox Sports App.
The Nittany Lions’ 2022 regular season was one of the best in recent memory. The Nittany Lions finished above .500 in Big Ten play for the seventh time in program history and first time since 2016. Penn State’s 13 Big Ten wins are also the third most in program history.
Following a down year in 2021, the Nittany Lions flipped the narrative, seeing the largest increase in winning percentage in the country. Second-year head coach Clarisa Crowell looks to lead the Nittany Lions on a run for the tournament crown in the first Big Ten Tournament appearance of her career.
- Round One: No. 7 Penn State vs. No. 10 Indiana- Wednesday, May 11; 11 a.m.
- Quarterfinal: vs. No. 2 Nebraska- Thursday, May 12; 11 a.m. (if necessary)
- Semifinal-Friday, May 13; 2 p.m. (if necessary)
- Final- Saturday, May 14; 1 p.m. (if necessary)
Scouting the Field
- No. 10 Indiana comes into the tournament with a 27-21 record and a 10-13 in Big Ten play. Penn State and Indiana matched up earlier in the season in Happy Valley, with Penn State taking the three-game series winning games one and three. The Nittany Lions are 17-28 all-time against Indiana. Cora Bassett is the Hoosiers’ do it all player at the plate, leading the team in almost all offensive categories. The Hoosiers’ pitching staff is headlined by Heather Johnson and Macy Montgomery, with Johnson leading the way with a 4.00 ERA through 140 innings pitched.
- If the Nittany Lions make it past Indiana, a date with No.2 Nebraska will be on tap. The Cornhuskers have had a spectacular year, going 37-14 and earning the second seed in the tournament with a 17-5 record in Big Ten play. At one point in the season,…