1. A woman played the national anthem on a saw
From the A’s game yesterday in Oakland, and the headlines write themselves:
You ain’t never saw this before!
2. NCAA umpires really don’t like home run celebrations
Even if the batter just walks slightly slower than they should be.
3. The Angels have lost 12 games in a row
It’s getting weird out there in Anaheim, for a team that started much of the year in first place, comfortably in a contending spot — and now, day after day, they can’t get near a win.
4. The stat of the day: The Mets are sac flying a lot
Sac-flying? Sac’ing fly?
They’ve already surpassed the total they had in all of 2021.
5. The pitching performance of the day: Michael Wacha
Either he was very dominant, or he happened to be facing the team that’s lost eleven straight games (now twelve) — or both.
6. Benches cleared in the Mariners vs. Astros game
Everyone gets fired up, and then it’s just a big angry mingle behind home plate — as per usual with these baseball not-quite-fights of late.
7. The Mariners are turning to desperate measures
When you’re 25–30 in a year that was supposed to be a major turnaround, you’ll try anything.
8. There’s a guy named Fidel Castro in the minor leagues
And the parent team of the Daytona Tortugas?
Very fitting — the Reds.
9. A follow-up on the infamous “thumbs down” Mets incident last year
10. And last but not least, Eduardo Escobar hits for the cycle
After a quiet baseball day, I had to keep the best highlight for the newsletter finale.