DES MOINES, IA – The Iowa Cubs (63-75) earned their second straight victory over the Memphis Redbirds (67-71) by a score of 8-5, Thursday at Principal Park.
Iowa jumped out to an early lead, getting two runs in the second and five runs in the third. Esteban Quiroz, Trent Giambrone and Darius Hill all doubled to bring in runs over the two innings.
Memphis got a run back in the fourth on a sacrifice fly, but Iowa brought the lead right back to seven on a solo home run from John Hicks.
From there, the Redbirds continued to claw back, scoring two runs in the fifth and two in the seventh. Both came on two-run blasts, the first from Juan Yepez and the second by Moises Gomez.
Brendon Little and Ben Leeper combined to throw 2.1 scoreless innings, striking out three total batters to end the game and earn Iowa their second consecutive win.
– Six of Iowa’s seven hits as a team went for extra bases, with five of the seven being doubles. Alexander Canario hit the team’s only single of the game.
– Despite getting out-hit eight to seven and going 4-for-11 with runners in scoring position tonight, Iowa still managed to score eight runs and win the game.
– Ben Leeper earned his 10th save of the year tonight, good for the team-lead. He is now tied with the most saves for an I-Cubs’ pitcher since Dillon Maples recorded 10 back in 2018.
Iowa and Memphis will play game four of their six-game series tomorrow night, with first pitch scheduled for 7:08 PM from Principal Park. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board…
- Buffalo Battles Back from Early Deficit to Beat Syracuse, 12-7, on Thursday Night – Syracuse Mets
- Saints Bested by Bats for Second Straight Night, 5-2 – St. Paul Saints
- Iowa Wins Second Straight – Iowa Cubs
- Key Hits Lead Bats to 5-2 Win in St. Paul – Louisville Bats
- Memphis Falls Behind Early, Takes Loss – Memphis Redbirds
- Sánchez’s Four Hits Not Enough in Loss to Sounds – Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lindblom, Ruiz Lead Sounds to Another Win – Nashville Sounds
- Wings Win in Extras, 2-1 – Rochester Red Wings
- Late Power Surge Propels Bisons to 12-7 Win over Syracuse – Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Best Stripers 5-2 to Take Back Division Lead – Durham Bulls
- Stripers’ Win Streak Snapped with 5-2 Loss to Durham – Gwinnett Stripers
- Chasers Earn Third Consecutive Win on…