1. Rest in peace, Maury Wills
He broke the single-season stolen base record in his MVP 1962 season with the Dodgers, beating Ty Cobb’s mark of 96 steals. He won three World Series titles, and appeared seven times in the All-Star Game.
And he helped inspire the courage behind one of the most iconic steals in baseball history, at Fenway Park in 2004.
2. Max Scherzer was pulled after six perfect innings
In his first game back from an oblique strain, he wins his 200th career game, the Mets clinch a postseason spot, and yet you wonder about what could’ve been.
3. The Tigers have a new GM
4. Ty France hit a home run over a little flag of France
It doesn’t get more perfect than that (see the Crèmily ad on the outfield wall).
5. The series to watch this week: Guardians vs. White Sox
6. The Dodgers almost turned a walk-off triple play
The ball just barely hit the ground before Gavin Lux’s glove at second base, and so it’s just a double play — and the Dodgers clinch a first-round playoff bye with their 102nd win of the season.
7. The Orioles know how to tweet about a bad loss
It took a while to put it together, until you look for Waldo.
8. Dewayne Staats called his 7,000th game last night
9. An update on World Baseball Classic qualifiers
One of either Great Britain, Spain or Czech Republic will make it.
10. And lastly, the Asheville Tourists have glow-in-the-dark hats
Every team in the majors should have one of these.