The 2023 World Baseball Classic is in full swing, and Team USA had its most dominant showing of the tournament on Monday night. The Americans scored nine runs in the first inning on their way to a 12-1 win over Canada. Team USA, despite a loss to Mexico, can clinch a spot in the quarterfinals with a win over Colombia on Wednesday. Team USA is off on Tuesday, but there are four games on the slate as Venezuela tries to stay perfect and the Dominican Republic goes for its second straight win in Pool D.
Monday also saw some WBC history as Puerto Rico threw the first perfect game ever in the tournament. Puerto Rico blanked Israel in a 10-0 game that was called after eight innings because of the mercy rule. Pool play in the WBC wraps up Wednesday, the same day the quarterfinals begin. Half the quarterfinal field is set with Japan, Australia, Cuba and Italy punching their tickets to the knockout round.
This version of the WBC was originally supposed to be played in 2021 but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Action got started on Wednesday, March 8 (technically first pitch of the 2023 WBC opener in Taiwan took place at 11 p.m. ET on March 7), and there will be a total of 47 games. The championship game is set for Tuesday, March 21 in Miami.
Plenty of MLB stars are taking part in the event, including Shohei Ohtani, Juan Soto, Julio Rodríguez, Francisco Lindor, Mike Trout and Trea Turner. Full team rosters can be viewed here, and here’s a primer on the event from CBS Sports’ Mike Axisa. Here are Matt Snyder’s Power Rankings for the tournament.
Below, fans can find the full list of 2023 World Baseball Classic teams, as well as the entire schedule and odds.
2023 World Baseball Classic schedule
All games on Fox, FS1 and FS2 can be streamed on fuboTV (try for free).
(All times Eastern)
Tuesday, March 14
- Venezuela vs. Nicaragua, 12 p.m., FS2
- Colombia vs. Canada, 3 p.m., FS2
- Dominican Republic vs. Israel, 7 p.m., FS2
- Mexico vs. Great Britain, 10 p.m., FS1
Wednesday, March 15
- Cuba vs. Australia (quarterfinals), 6 a.m., FS2
- Israel vs. Venezuela, 12 p.m., FS2
- Canada vs. Mexico, 3 p.m., FS2
- Dominican Republic vs. Puerto Rico, 7 p.m., FS2
- Colombia vs. United States, 10 p.m., FS1
Thursday, March 16
- Japan vs. Italy (quarterfinals), 6 a.m., FS2
Friday, March 17
- TBD vs. TBD (quarterfinals), 7 p.m., FS1
Saturday, March 18
- TBD vs. TBD (quarterfinals), 7 p.m., Fox
Sunday, March 19
- TBD vs. TBD (semifinals), 7 p.m.,…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at CBSSports.com Headlines…