COLUMBIA, S.C. – Coming off SEC opening weekend, the South Carolina softball team hosts Presbyterian for a mid-week contest Wednesday (Mar. 15) at 6p.m., inside the Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field. The Gamecocks and in-state foe Blue Hose have not met since the 2017 season.
South Carolina Gamecocks 22-4, 1-2 SEC
Coach: Beverly Smith | 13th Season
AVG Leader: .407 | Brooke Blankenship
RBI Leader: 23 | Riley Blampied
Home Run Leader: 5 | Jordan Fabian
ERA Leader: 1.61 | Donnie Gobourne
Strikeout Leader: 69 | Donnie Gobourne
Wins Leader: 5 | Four Tied
Series History: South Carolina leads 7-0
Last Meeting: South Carolina 14, Presbyterian 0 | February 12, 2017 | Columbia, S.C.
Presbyterian Blue Hose 17-5, 0-0 Big South
Coach: David Williams | 3rd Season
AVG Leader: .370 | Kendall Owens
RBI Leader: 17 | Morgan Hess
Home Run Leader: 7 | Morgan Hess
ERA Leader: 0.96 | Jenna Greene
Strikeout Leader: 89 | Jenna Greene
Wins Leader: 7 | Jenna Greene
- The 2023 season will be the 50th season of Carolina Softball.
- The Gamecocks are 25th in the most recent RPI.
- Carolina is off to its best start since 2018.
- Head coach Bev Smith earned her 400th career win last Thursday against UNC.
- She became the 29th active head coach in Division I to amass 400 career victories while only coaching at one school.
- The Gamecock offense ranks 12th in the country in scoring per game (6.96 runs).
- As a team, Carolina leads the SEC in doubles (44) and are eighth in the nation.
- They also lead the SEC in stolen bases per game (2.50) and fielding percentage (.982)
- In the nation, they are 22nd in doubles per game (1.69) and 11th in walks (98), 10th in on-base% (.428), 16th in winning percentage, 13th in stolen bases per game, sixth in fielding and 21st in slugging (.537), and 25th in K’s-BB (3.52).
- Donnie Gobourne leads the nation in strikeouts per 7 innings (13.9). She also ranks 53rd in total strikeouts with 69.
- Her four saves rank fourth in the nation and first in the SEC.
- She also ranks 96th in ERA (1.62) and 97th in hits per 7 (4.85)
- Jen Cummings leads the nation in total HBP (13) and is second in per game (0.50).
- She ranks among the NCAA leaders in four different categories.
- She is ninth in the nation in on-base% (.588).
- She ranks 83rd in walks per game (0.65) and 120th in slugging % (.691)
- Marissa Gonzalez rank 23rd in the nation in total doubles (8).
- Gonzalez ranks 92nd in the nation in doubles per game (0.32).
- Karsen Ochs ranks 30th in the nation in…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Softball – University of South Carolina Athletics…