CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – No. 15 Duke softball (22-5, 5-2 ACC) defeated North Carolina (10-17, 1-3 ACC), 9-7, on Friday afternoon to open its three-game weekend series at Anderson Stadium.
Junior Claire Davison led the team on a crucial two-out rally in the top of the sixth, plating two runs to push the Blue Devils ahead, 9-7. The Lakewood Ranch, Fla., native finished the night batting 3-for-4 with two RBI and recorded her seventh multi-hit game of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Blue Devils took a quick lead in the opening frame after a two-run blast from junior Kelly Torres put the team ahead, 4-0.
- North Carolina responded right back in the bottom half with four runs of their own to even the score, 4-4.
- Davidson sparked the offense again in the third when a hard-hit ball up the middle landed her on second and moved over on a base hit from junior Francesca Frelick.
- North Carolina’s Makenna Raye Dark walked the next two batters to push another Duke run across and senior Gisele Tapia extended the lead further with an RBI-single to score Frelick.
- The Tar Heels once again fought back, tallying a run in the bottom of the third and the fourth, to make it 6-6.
- Duke plated three runs on a pair of hits from Davidson and freshman Aminah Vega to round out its nine runs the top of the sixth inning.
- Freshman Cassidy Curd pitched her way out of the final frame to leave the bases loaded with the go-ahead run at the plate.
- The 9-7 victory marked Duke’s first road win over North…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Duke University…