Score: Maryland 18, UAlbany 3
Location: Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium in College Park, Maryland
Records: UAlbany (2-8-1) | Maryland (9-9)
Short Story: The University at Albany baseball team fell to the University of Maryland in the first game of a three-game series.
Head Coach Jon Mueller: “Maryland is well coached and have premium arms and power throughout the line-up. It got away from us the last few innings.”
How it Happened:
- Cregg Scherrer started on the mound for UAlbany, Jason Savacool started for the Terps.
- Maryland struck first, gaining a 2-0 lead in the second inning thanks to a two-out two-RBI double off the bat of Nick Lorusso.
- Maryland added another run in the third on a solo shot from Matt Woods.
- Matthew Mariano replaced Scherrer midway through the fifth.
- Maryland pushed the lead to 5-0 in the sixth on another two-out two-RBI double, this time off the bat of Matt Shaw.
- Maryland’s Eddie Hacopian and Bobby Zmarzlak hit back-to-back solo home runs to start the seventh inning, making it a 7-0 game. The Terps tacked on one more run before the end of the inning to make it 8-0 after a sac fly to center from Nick Lorusso.
- Ty Santabarbara entered in the eighth. The Terps scored 10 runs to break the game open, 18-0.
- Tyler Pugliese hit a two-run home run in the ninth, the first of his collegiate career.
Next: UAlbany is back in action against Maryland tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. for the second game of the series. Keep up with all of the latest news, highlights, and insights on UAlbany baseball by following the team…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University at Albany Great Danes…