PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Rutgers softball returns to the win column with a pair of wins to open the Rutgers Tournament on Friday at the Rutgers Softball Complex.
The Scarlet Knights opened with an 8-1 win over Saint Peter’s and closed out the day with a 4-0 shutout against Iona.
The two wins snapped a six-game slide and improves the squad to 19-10 on the season.
- Morgan Smith made her Rutgers Softball Complex debut with a three-run home and RBI triple. The Scarlet Knight finished game one 3-for-4 with four RBIs and two runs.
- Kyleigh Sand and Payton Lincavage also had a pair of hits apiece. Lincavage was 2-for-2 with an RBI double and three runs scored. Sand, meanwhile, notched a triple and scored two runs.
- Raimy Gamsby improved to 6-3 overall tossing six innings with four strikeouts. She gave up only one run on five hits.
- Two batters into the 2023 season opener Rutgers was on the scoreboard and by the end of the first inning, the Scarlet Knights were up 4-0. In fact, six pitches into RU’s first home at-bat, the Scarlet Knights had a 2-0 lead. Kyleigh Sand led off with a single off a bunt and collected the first of her two runs off a Payton Lincavage double down the right-field line. Not to be outdone, Morgan Smith followed with her first at-bat at the Rutgers Softball Complex with an RBI triple into right center. Taylor Fawcett scored Morgan on a double to right center for the 4-0 edge.
- Aubrey Ketcham gave Saint Peter’s its lone run in the top of the second. With two outs and two aboard in scoring position, Ketcham single’s to right scored Tai Turner. However, it would be the only run the Peacocks would make.
- Smith came to the plate in the fifth inning to smack a three-run home run over the fence in left field extending RU’s lead to 8-1.
- The Scarlet Knights added two more in the sixth. Maddie Lawson reached on a single down the left field line and eventually made her way to third on a wild pitch. While Morgan Smith struck out, a double steal saw Lawson score. With two outs and Lincavage on second, Katie Wingert brought home her teammate with a single thru the left side.
- Saint Peter’s put a…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Rutgers University Athletics…