COLLEGE PARK, MD – Maryland (11-8) clinched a series win on Sunday afternoon with a 4-0 shutout victory over Albany (3-9-1) at Bob ‘Turtle’ Smith Stadium. The Terps win their second-straight home series as a result and third of the season overall.
Freshman left-hander Kyle McCoy had his best start in a Maryland uniform to date, striking out five and giving up one hit over five scoreless innings to work to begin Sunday’s series finale. Over his last three outings, he’s struck out nine and given up three earned runs over 12 innings of work. He earned his first collegiate win after his dazzling start.
Maryland took the lead in the bottom of the third inning with two runs, first coming from an RBI double from Luke Shliger and an RBI single from Nick Lorusso following. Matt Shaw doubled the lead in the bottom of the seventh inning with a two-run homer, his fourth of the season for the Terps.
Breaking Down The Action
- Maryland got the scoring started in the bottom of the third inning with an RBI double from Shliger and an RBI single from Lorusso, 2-0.
- Shaw doubled the Terps’ lead in the bottom of the seventh inning with a two-run homer, 4-0.
By The Numbers
- 3: Series wins for Maryland so far this season after Sunday’s win
- 5: Innings pitched by Kyle McCoy on Sunday, setting a career-high
- 5: Strikeouts from Kyle McCoy on Sunday, setting a career-high
- 8: Number of consecutive games with a hit for Matt Woods after recording a hit on Sunday. He’s now hitting .406 (13-for-32) during his current hitting streak
- 9: Strikeouts from Maryland pitching in the win
- 31: Number of RBI for Nick Lorusso this season, leading the team in the category
- The Terps finish up their four-game homestand against George Washington at Bob ‘Turtle’ Smith Stadium at 4 p.m. EST Tuesday The game will be broadcast on B1G+ and the Maryland Baseball Network.
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Maryland Athletics…