Worcester, Massachusetts – Despite clubbing three homers, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (19-20)
couldn’t find an answer to slow down a constant Worcester Red Sox (20-20) attack in a 9-4 loss on Tuesday night at
Worcester opened the scoring in the bottom of the second a Bobby Dalbec solo homer, his fifth of the year. The IronPigs answered right back in the top of the third with a Jake Cave solo homer to tie the game, his third of the campaign.
David Hamilton gave the WooSox the lead for good with a solo homer in the third, his eighth of the year. The WooSox started to pull away the very next inning, plating one on a Greg Allen RBI double and then two more on a Nick Sogard base hit.
Ryan Fitzgerald made it 7-2 Worcester with a two-run homer in the fifth, his seventh of the year.
Jordan Qsar ripped a solo homer, his seventh on the season, in the top of the sixth to get the IronPigs back to within 7-2, but the WooSox got that run right back in the bottom of the sixth after Sogard singled, stole second, and then scored after two wild pitches.
After loading the bases to start the eighth, the IronPigs got a run on a groundball double play only to see the WooSox cancel out that run with an RBI groundout in the bottom of the eighth to make it 9-3.
Jhailyn Ortiz smacked a solo homer leading off the ninth, his third on the year, but the IronPigs went down quietly after that, losing 9-4.
Kutter Crawford (1-0) worked three innings, allowing one run on three hits, striking out four to earn the win for the
Noah Skirrow (4-1) suffered the loss for the IronPigs, allowing five runs on three hits and two walks, striking out a
season high six.
The IronPigs and WooSox square off in game two of their series on Wednesday, May 17 at 12:15 p.m.
Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The IronPigs are presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board…
- Priester’s Gem Sparks Series-Opening Victory – Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Cruise to 7-1 Series Opening Victory – Louisville Bats
- Wings Fall in Buffalo, 7-4 – Rochester Red Wings
- I-Cubs Stomped in Third Straight Loss – Iowa Cubs
- Bisons Open Series with Win Against Rochester – Buffalo Bisons
- Whitlock & Crawford Strong, Fitzgerald & Dalbec Homer in Win – Worcester Red Sox
- Bulls Smash Nashville 7-2 – Durham…